People hacking… sneezing… sniffling… aching… drooping
So what’s a #FitBodyFatLife rockstar, like you, to do?
Check out these 3 science proven tips so you won’t have to avoid social interactions this season:
Tip #1: PRObiotics
These Friendly Fighters have been shown to boost and support the immune system. Be on the look out for two specific strains (there are several): Bifidobacterium animalis ssp. lactic (BB-12®) and Lactobacillus rhamnosus.
- Bifidobacterium animalis ssp. lactic (BB-12®) has been shown to help the body produce additional amounts of IgA. [British Journal of Nutrition] What’s that you ask? It’s an antibody that plays a critical role in providing you with protection from enemy invaders.
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus LGG® had a similar discovery: “Probiotics induce an immunologic response that may provide enhanced systemic protection of cells from virus infections by increasing production of virus neutralizing antibodies.” [European Journal of Nutrition]
So, now that we know there are Friendly Fighters kicking ass against enemy invaders, how do you pick out a solid Friendly Fighter product? Ask yourself these questions:
- How many of the Friendly Fighters are proven to be in the product in question? WebMD gives a range between 1 Billion and 10 Billion good guys to achieve a healthy balance.
- It doesn’t do your guy any good if the good guys are dead on arrival, so are the Friendly Fighters live and kick’n cultures?
- Where will it need to be stored to remain active and viable?
- How often will you need to take it?
While there are lots of great products on the market (and some not so good ones)… this is one of my favorite options from my exclusive product partner. You can get your own convenient box that travels well and sits on the shelf waiting to be consumed. Want to check out a fun and informative little video about the good guys, our guts Friendly Fighters, take a look!
Tip #2: GROW more bacteria
Now that you’ve got a colony of Friendly Fighters camping out in your gut (I promise it’s a good thing), it’s time to grow more by feeding them. They are huge fans of something called prebiotics. There’s one key ingredient to keep in mind – “it must be able to withstand the harsh environment of the stomach.” Which means prebiotics are going in to battle long before they reach Friendly Fighter camp.
A prebiotic ally, inulin, swoops in to save the day! Inulin is a type of soluble fiber that behaves as a prebiotic effect. So, eat up! Specifically… bananas, garlic, jicama, onions, and yams. A bonus side effect of this incredible ally, inulin, is that in addition to the digestive benefits, it “significantly increases calcium absorption and enhances bone mineralization” in young adolescents. [American Journal of Clinical Nutrition]
Seriously! It’s not worth it. And, I would wager, we all know this one. Here are some ideas that might help:
- Eat quality foods no more than “one step removed” from the ground
- Breathe deeply
- Listen to music
- Take a walk
- Take a nap
Now that you’re in the know, it’s time to weather the cold and flu season in style by supporting the bodies battle ground – the gut!
These are just 3 scientifically proven tips. Now it’s time to here from you: what’s your best tip or tradition for annihilating those pesky enemy invaders?